Any suggestions for cleaning up super glue residue?

I’m working on a Stapleton cobra phaser. Being the perfectionist that I am, I was really pleased with how well the paint job came out. Unfortunately, when I was putting in the power level indicator, some light super glue residue smeared around the area.

I tried cleaning it up immediately with some testors paint thinner, which didn’t seem to touch it. I picked up some Goof Off and tested it on the inside of the phaser, and it looks like using that will mess up the paint job.

Given how close I am to being done with the phaser, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions to clean up the residue that won’t mess up the paint job. I think it’s unlikely, but figured I’d put this out there in hopes that I won’t have to restart the paint job completely. Thanks in advance!

Damned nigh impossible but you can try warm water and toothpaste

Acetone is best for superglue removal, but it’s gonna mess with paint.

Any solvent will

+1 Acetone

Search amazon or eBay for super glue solvent. Works instantly, use sparingly with a cotton swab then wipe off.

This stuff? . Nitroalkane, interesting.

It’s been my experience when something like this arises and when all is said and done, that it’s easier to just repaint the thing. That’s going to give you the only result you will truly be happy with. Any “quick fix” will more than likely make things worse.

I use this: http://www.bsi-inc.com/hobby/un_cure.html

-Jeff

Like everyone else has suggested, acetone works as does CA debonders, but they will attack the paint as well. You can try placing the piece in the freezer overnight, this will make the CA brittle and may allow it to be picked off. If it works then great, if not you’ll have to repaint anyway.

I always avoid using CA on painted or clear parts. Instead I use epoxy, Locktite Go2Glue, clear Goop or clear Liquid Nails. Any of these can be cleaned up with an alcohol swab while still wet. They will be tough to remove when dry, but at least they won’t fog the parts like CA.

Debonders are the least harmful thing but it is a foregone conclusion it will damage the paints finish.
You have nothing to lose given all paths lead to repainting it as the only viable means of rectifying the error.
If the debonding agent works without damaging the paint, your ahead of the curve. If otherwise, you’ve lost a little time and a minor expense but are no worse for wear.