Yesterday I received the QBC V reader purchased by Lt. Washburn.
I removed the top as per the manual. When I turned the unit over to remove the 4 bottom screws I could hear loose parts falling around inside the case. It was a little tricky getting the case around the shaft for the knob. Apparently that’s why they made the opening triangular and redesigned it with rev C models.
Once I removed the cover I found what the loose objects were, blood sample tubes that fell into the works and were never removed.
Overall the cover is in very good condition. I did find a few scuff marks:
And I found one small chip.
The outside is textured which makes it difficult to buff out marks, that’s probably why the Voyager prop had so much paint on it.
When I examined the inside of the cover I was surprised to find this is not an injection molded part. I’m not an expert in the process but it appears to be slush molded. You can see some runs in this pic’. The post with the tube was glued in and engages a switch on the base that acts as an interlock so you cannot operate the unit with the cover off (unless you push down the button).
There are cylindrical pieces glued in the four corners that have threaded metal inserts. This is what connects the cover to the base.
This was disappointing in that there are no internal structures, ribs, webs, bosses, etc… to reinforce the shell. The uneven internal surfaces make it difficult to glue in additional supports.
Also the material thickness is uneven with some spots thinner than others. Of particular concern is the thickness of the ribs (about 0.09") that form the diagonal slats in the vent. This area may have been covered in some of the props because they were broken.
Overall I think the shell is pretty fragile by itself. All the components are mounted on a rigid metal frame that is secured to the base casting by the 4 screws that hold on the rubber feet. The only stress points on the cover are from where the tube pushes down on the interlock switch and the foam pads around the rectangular opening which hold the control panel in place.
There is a lip on the periphery of the cover that nests inside the base. On the left side of this unit there is a notch cut into the lip to allow clearance for a push button. This will need to be filled to match the prop.
This button is not labeled and I was unable to determine it’s function. I have not seen it on any other units.
My 1989 rev C unit should be arriving Monday. I am trying to arrange for scanning both of the parts next week. In the meantime I will be taking measurements to update my existing model.
More to come.