Discovery Communicator - my build log and 3D printable files

Is an[quote=“PT109, post:21, topic:4694, full:true”]
The only electronics, in this case, is a small android phone or an iPod playing a looped animation.
[/quote]

Thank you for answering is anyone selling the electronics yet or have the programming??
Thanks,Bob

Which iPod is it the nano??? I would really like to add electronics to mine if possible.

I believe it is the 7th generation nano but as others have stated an Android phone was also used, not sure which one.

Ok thanks so much

The android phone is the Posh Mobile Micro X S240:

Truth.

Not available

Ethan my 3d parts arrived today from Britian of course I will not have the metal parts, but I hope to make it look presentable.

Guilded brass is what I used for the golden antenna and I will share pics if you like

Guilded brass

I just want to tell you all that I really appreciate you. Thanks for all your help as I don’t get out much due to health issues.

Hey Ethan,
Did you have to drill out the holes in the communicator body to get the hinge pins to fit in? On my print the hinge pins do not fit with the proper side facing out.

Yes, I did! It helps to clean up the holes (taking care not to go too far) with a 23/64 bit.

You can use a 1-2-3 block to help align the body at a right angle to the table of the drill press:

And don’t forget a little clean up of the edge with a countersink bit (the photo above was staged- if you look closely the countersink/reamer was already used on that side :slight_smile: )

Aha, now that’s the magic. Thanks buddy for the enlightenment!

The newly discovered photo of the back of the communicator showed that I still had some basic details off on the rear delta piece. In reality it’s a fairly simple plant-on made from a 2D profile cut from sheet/plate material, with the right portion brushed/textured differently - no three-dimensional fillets or chamfers of any kind.

I initially based its size, shape, and details on the delta incorporated into the two phasers, and when that was proven incorrect by the blue-print style animation released a few months ago, I simply increased its size and adjusted the shape of the curves a bit to match. Now that we have an actual photo of the back, the detail is much easier to make out.

I’ve added a new “accurate delta.stl” part to the first post - this revised design includes sharper points on the delta, a smaller star, and an overall thinner profile with only a very slight 0.005" step down to the right portion of the delta (just enough to provide a guide for masking when painting). I also eliminated all fillets on edges as the photo shows it to be a simple 2-d shape. It’s difficult to tell how thick the delta in the reference image is.

Due to the thinner nature of the part, the delta is no longer practical to use with the ipod button mechanism, and the recesses on the back of the mounting stud have been deleted to improve printability. I did update the original “delta.stl” with sharper points, but that’s the only change to that part.

In addition the three holes below the delta in the “lower shell.stl” part were enlarged and repositioned slightly.

What are the three holes for???

Just decoration as far as I know - there’s no function as the ones on the sides seem to have. :slight_smile:

I have the light plates that they use for the ironman helmets I was thinking of backlighting the bottom screen and running an mp3 for the top screen.

I just added a new file to the first post - “buttons and bar grouped.stl”

This file is a sprued assembly of three buttons and the bar button which will be more convenient and cost effective if you wish to have metal pieces made by Shapeways. Be sure to upload in units of millimeters :slight_smile:

Could you please not be so productive? I can’t keep up when I’m being productive… :roll_eyes:

:japanese_ogre:

Ha! I’m not really - that file was assembled months ago for my own build and it was only a board member’s question that jogged my memory.

PS Shapeways is picky about sprued-together parts for metal casting but this arrangement passed muster with at least one of their agents (in rhodium plated brass). The part detail was a little soft and over-polished but acceptable.