Klingon Disruptor TOS Laser

Just Had Some fun making this Laser Prop. Pictures:

Fun project . . . I just have to point out that the Klingon weapon was a sonic disruptor! :slight_smile:

Fun stuff, it would great to see some build pics of how this all went together in the spirit of TFW.

That is really beautiful! May I ask what colours and paints you used?

ON SONIC WEAPONS:

Light travels as transverse waves and can travel through a vacuum. Sound travels as longitudinal waves and need to travel through a solid, liquid or gas: it cannot travel through a vacuum.

Light and sound can be reflected and refracted, just like water waves. Light and sound can also be diffracted, just like water waves, but diffraction in light is less obvious than in sound.

light%20chart

Oh yeah, Disruptor Paint:

Handle: Zylonite Z8072 Gray (not dark gray, just gray, mind the paint code). Steel wool rub down and some old fashioned wax or, Krylon acrylic to finish off. Experiment a little. Wood, plastic, resin, fiberglass, substrates can impact the final look.

Olive Drab Body: If perfection is required use GSA Federal Paint Standard 36357 (no name) this is a very old but still active military color. Korea ran to 1953 and Vietnam from 1955-1975 so it is my guestimated opinion that was the color (i.e it was “around” and might have been easy to obtain for prop work in the 1960’s) further, it does match the MR color.
Easier Body alternatives are; Testors Model Master TES2071 (on Testors label Grau RLM 02) or Tamiya AS-11 rattle cna Medium Sea Grey (RAF), and better yest Tamiya PS-31 Smoke is even closer if you can find it or order direct. Experiment a little. Wood, plastic, resin, fiberglass, substrates can impact the final look.

Remember you can get the color to shift about with primer selection ; bright white vrs, grey vrs, many blacks, and so on.

That’s really great information Jon Paul! Thanks so much for going into detail with it!