So I've been wanting to try my hand at casting for a while. So with some encouragement from my friend Joe in Buffalo, I finally gave it a go. My goal was to make a two sided mold of a klingon padd. Only problem... I didn't have a master. So my secondary mission was to make a master. With some measurements from another friend who owns a made for production cast, I created a very accurate master and created a two part mold
A little rough around the parting line in a spot, but very happy for my first attempt.
So off I went to start the casting process. I used a smooth-on resin that had a good work time and fast de-mold time. Each cast took me about 30 minutes from mixing to de-molding.
Here is a comparison pic of my cast and the made for production cast.
Now came the finishing process. Some bondo and Duplicolor filler primer to get the surface ready for paint. Then a couple of coats of Krylon Hunter Green Satin paint. Then Krylon primer red oxide primer for the buttons and some black krylon paint for the screen well.
Finally the finishing touches some 1/8 inch gold tape for around the edge, and vinyl cut custom made graphics for the back and front. Lastly, photo printed graphics and voila! A klingon padd