Laser cutter/etcher

I really need to get myself a laser cutter/etcher for acrylic. I feel a bit intimidated by them though. Any model suggestions for a novice? Or even first hand advice from when you got your first machine? TIA -Michael

How much do you want to spend?

Excellent question - I’d like to keep it $300-$500 since I’m just starting out. But I don’t know if that’s a reasonable budget.

Well for that price you would be able to get some thing like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Upgraded-40W-USB-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-300x200mm/401128762209?epid=933626599&hash=item5d65232b61%3Ag%3ASe0AAOSwF7lbOs1O%3Asc%3AShippingMethodStandard!91605!US!-1&_sacat=0&_nkw=laser+engraver&_from=R40&rt=nc&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R1.TR12.TRC2.A0.H0.Xlaser+engr.TRS0

This one will cut and engrave fairly well . Most of the lower cost machines only engrave some do cut but it takes for ever to cut with them. The cutting and engraving size is small. If you want larger then you would be in the $1,000 - $3,000.00 range.

Thank you sir! That’s one of the ones that made me feel I could afford to buy one. For now, I’m just looking to make isochips and padds - so thats a large enough bed. i just have to look and see how thick it can cut; need to be sure it can handle 1/4" acrylic.

If I’m ever able to set up a real prop building shop for myself with room for printers, then I can look into a larger cutter/engraver. But that will require I live in a new house… mine is FAR too small as it is. When I work on props, my kitchen becomes my work room :confused: Most inconvenient.

I can’t recommend any particular machine. But my advice would be to buy the best one you can afford, even if it’s bigger than you need. You will grow into it.

That is true. It’s not like I have not been in the position that I said if only I had 2 more inches on the laser bed.

Yes I know “That’s what she said”