Lumured Corp Square on Mesh Material

Hi all,

First, thanks @norbauer for creating this wonderful community and resource. I hope I’ll be able to contribute in a meaningful way :slight_smile:

As stated in the thread title, I’m collecting Star Trek medical props for a medkit. I’m interested in building a DS9-era cortical stimulator (I stumbled across this reference pic on @hms’s Flickr page) and I’m having trouble identifying one of the components of the connection band. Specifically, I’m hoping to identify the source of the metallic rounded squares.

I was prompted to join the board when I came across @NickDaring’s thread on Chrysalid / Graffix Cyberwear Pins. Lo and behold, underneath the housing of Worf’s medallions are the same metallic squares. Further research led to the discovery that this material turned up everywhere during TNG/early DS9.

It first appears as the Post-Atomic Horror Soldier’s armor from Encounter at Farpoint. Figuring it was used in even more props, I scanned the Star Trek Auction Listings site and found quite a few other examples. Gowron’s shirt appears to be made entirely of this stuff too.

Given the shear amount of times it was used, it seems the production had abundant access to this material. At first I thought the squares might be small washers or bead spacers of some kind but given the fact that the squares are always accompanied by an underlying black mesh, it may be that this material (squares and mesh combined) is a found item. Or perhaps it was painstakingly created by the production for the soldier’s armor in Farpoint and leftover material was used over the years.

I’m hoping to tap into the wealth of knowledge found on this forum to find the source of this elusive item!

Welcome aboard and I’m certain you will get the answers your looking for, just not from me. This prop I know little about.

Welcome to the Greatest site on the net.
There is a wealth of information with all the people on here.

Mike P.

Welcome PT109![quote=“PT109, post:1, topic:1693”][…] given the fact that the squares are always accompanied by an underlying black mesh, it may be that this material (squares and mesh combined) is a found item. Or perhaps it was painstakingly created by the production for the soldier’s armor in Farpoint and leftover material was used over the years.[/quote]You’re right, it was definitely a fabric material. Whether custom-made for the production, or found, I do not know. The squares are plastic and I think meant to be a synthetic mother-of-pearl, but they don’t really do justice to the natural kind.

Welcome! I share your love of Trek medical props, in the extreme. :blush:

I love that wacky fabric and even have a tiny sample of it. I know that it was commercially produced by a company that is now out of business but not much more. I seem to remember @zredthunder having some good info on it. Hopefully he’ll see this thread and have something to offer.

It was made by Lumured Corp. A defunct company for many years. They made purses out of all kinds of funky materials from the 1940’s through the 90’s. It was made in bolts of fabric but impossible to find today.

See. John is a treasure trove of such info. :slight_smile:

Thank you Ryan. Another little note to add to this is when we were in NY last year I spent a day with a little patch of the material and went to every place in the garment district trying to find those old places in the back of the warehouses where 30 year old bolts of fabric are stored…nothing.

My good friend in LA has done the exact same thing but spent 2 days and she used to work in that district so she had connections. When the company closed they auctioned off all of what they had left so there may be some out there left. It was used far more than you realize in TNG. Watch the first episode and see how many costumes you can fine that use it! :slight_smile:

This board is amazing :slight_smile:

Although disappointing to hear the material has disappeared, it’s very satisfying to learn the story behind it. Thanks @zredthunder!

I’ll eventually try to replicate some of it and will share the results with the board in the future!

How on earth was that stuff manufactured?

There are some purses that turn up on ebay from time to time that have a very close pattern but not perfect.

As a matter of fact, I just picked up this one off eBay. Colors are off but the mesh and squares appear to be spot on. I plan on doing some experimentation over the next few weeks and will report back! Thanks again @zredthunder for pointing me in the right direction.

That is a very close match but only seems to turn up in black and the squares are smaller.

Seems they were still using this fabric as late as second-seaon Enterprise. Just happened to notice it in the episode Canamar. Examples here, here, here.

Incredible how much mileage they got out of this stuff. Nice find!

Some parts of Klingon costumes had it until the last season. Then some pieces showed up in ENT that were either re-dressed or painted differently.

lol, i’ve been watching that tote for some time, it was as high as $54 and when I did a search for it again, as she always relisted it, I couldn’t find it until I did a completed auction search. Nice to know it went to another board member.

The material was also used inside the “windows” of Worf’s pins that Chrysalid / Graffix Cyberwear put out.

[URL=http://s7.photobucket.com/user/unklejohn/media/Sci-Fi/WORF%20STYLE%20BALDRICS.jpg.html][/URL]

Just saw this material pop up again on DS9. They seem to have had quite a lot of it. I’m going to post examples in relative order of appearance.

TNG 1x01 Encounter at Farpoint - Post-Atomic Horror Soldiers

Note that the material is reversed from it’s normal appearance. The mesh overlays the squares.

1x05 The Last Outpost - Ferengi Headdress

By the way, this photo was taken during production of this episode, and there’s an interesting material on the table that has similarities.

DS9 1x12 Vortex - Miradorn Raiders

ENT 2x17 Canamar - Enolian Criminal
This outfit is a reuse of the Miradorn Raider from DS9.

I’m still curious how this stuff was made. How were the little squares made? Die-cut press? How were they kept in perfect alignment to be adhered to the mesh? How were they adhered? Glue, heat-bonded? What are the chances of someone making facsimile material with modern methods?