Well the rain got me started yesterday on my phaser. This will probably take me awhile, but I have a hard time finding free time for my own builds.
I didn't get far, but I am well on my way. First I removed the screw plugs, and screws to get the P1 apart. I wanted to be able to get the p1 apart in the future, and for painting, but didn't want screw holes. Too make this possible I drilled out all the screw holes, and post holes just under 1/8th of an inch, and glued in 2 1/8x1/8 cylinder rare earth magnets into each of the holes. It worked great. The phaser shells hold together really nice with the magnets. Then I was able to fill the screw holes, and file out my mid groove. That is all for now until I get some weights to start on the P2.
Before I quit for the day I decided to do a quick fix to the trigger light. I sanded the clear block so that it was just below the hole in the trigger. I then glued on a 1/16 piece of white translucent acrylic, and framed it with thin white styrene. After it dried I sanded the styrene down to even it with the acrylic to simulate the real LED.