Rather than start a detailed build thread which I fully intend to do at a later time for a hero, I figured I’d post just a few progress pictures of my latest communicator build. Being I have a few days to spare between tricorder builds, I thought I’d knock this off while I can. When I built my first JLong kit it took about 3 weeks. This build took about 5 hours total.
This communicator will be a gift to my daughters friend who is in her high school graduating class, and is a big time Star Trek fan from I’ve heard. So I thought what better gift to give the kid to start him on his way to our world of obsession. and besides, we all know how few young fans there are of TOS.
A few years ago a member by the name of James Beat popped into our community and popped out just as fast. But while he was here he offered some communicator shells, and at a very good price. They aren’t the tightest pulls I’ve ever seen, and the bottom shell is slightly larger than the top. But for the price they were worth it. I have about 6 sets.
Start with all the parts needed.
Soldering the frame to the antenna. The antenna is an HMS which I shortened (but still not enough) and reworked a bit to look more like it should.
Drilling the hub holes. I usually do this by hand twisting the bit in to avoid any accidents.
Drilling and tapping the midplate to a 2-56 size.
And that’s it. I promise to go into more detail on my next communicator build which will be alot of fun. I plan on doing a distressed Alpha with vintage shells. Should be interesting. Anyway, my daughter picked out the Morie pattern for this build which is known as Eta. Being there is no solid information on the jewels for this comm, I went with series 2000 black diamond in the center, and two Siams on the edges.
Oh…and look at this snazzy new torch I pick up at the 99 cent store today. Very cool!