It’s been a bit of a roller coaster on the personal side of things, but I have enough done to show progress.
My first thought about the hinges was to take Mike’s retrospective comment about using the hinges as conductors, and use MkVII style hinges. No good, at least at my competency. It required a hinge with the smallest diameter joint to limit the travel of the side plates. I ordered some miniature piano hinges and chose the smallest of the three choices I’d ordered. There is still a gap at the seam, but it’s not too bad. I also modified them to work as conductors by cutting them into two parts and so route power to the doors. I’ve used magnets as needed to make the doors align when shut.