Paint Codes

Leave Scott alone you guys…I got first dibs on him! He’s a wizard with graphics and I call shotgun!

I need to get a new paint chip book. I use to have one, but tossed it years ago. And you can have shotgun LOL

I’m working on it, guys. For now, we should go on using and updating this thread (anyone can update the opening post!), but eventually I’ll figure out a cross-referencing method or some kind of database. I’m currently looking at wiki platforms right now. Unfortunately, they all appear to be pretty bad software, but I’m holding out hope that I can find a good hosted solution somewhere that we can make part of this site.

Alright, you guys asked for it, so here it is! Below I’ve copy/pasted my own breakdown of what paints were used for what type of prop, extrapolated from a listing I’ve compiled over the years in MS Word format.

Some of it I’ve kept up to date, whereas some of it is likely outdated. The more recent additions for each prop are at the bottom of their individual listings. I know to some it may seem like a bit of a hot mess, lol.

Everything listed is what has been suggested over the years as suitable, close or almost exact matches to the correct colours on the screen-used originals. I didn’t bother to remove anything as it was discontinued, reformulated or renamed as I thought it prudent to keep track of each colour’s progression.

Anyway, if nothing else I figured I’d post it here just to help give us an idea of how we could organize the info being gathered in this thread:

PAINT CODES FOR ST PHASER/TRICORDER/PADD PROPS

TOS Phasers

Phaser 1

• Zynolyte Dark Grey All Purpose Primer (# 8070)
  • Dupli-color sandable primer - DAP 1692 Grey hot rod primer
    (exact match for the Zynolyte Dark Grey All Purpose Primer # 8070)
  • Black
  • Tamiya TS-48

Phaser 2

• Black body and White handle
  • Model Masters Intermediate Blue body and Black handle
  • Model Masters Intermediate Blue body and Model Masters metallizer Titanium or Rustoleum Anodized Bronze handle
  • Medium Grey body and Model Masters Metalizer Titanium or Rustoleum Anodized Bronze handle
  • Medium Grey body and Black handle
  • Krylon Shadow Grey (# 1604) body and Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic handle
  • Krylon Brushed Metallic Oil Rubbed Bronze handle
  • Dupli-color Dark Shadow Gray (CBFM0360) handle
  • Tamiya TS-66

TMP & WOK Phasers

TMP Phaser

• Rust-oleum American Accents Slate Blue
  • Krylon Primer Grey/Smoke Grey

WOK Phaser

• BMW Anthracite Grey
  • (Brand?) Bright Metallic Blue

ST:V & VI Phasers

Assault Phaser

• Dupli-color Dark Charcoal or (in Canada) Motomaster Charcoal Carbon 47-1723-2 for Chrysler cars

VOY Endgame Phaser

• Plasti-kote # 7173 = 85 GM Code 15 – (in Canada) Motomaster 47-8300-8/47-0283-6 Dupli-color Silver Sand Metallic / Dupli-color Medium Marblehead Metallic

ST: X - Nemesis Phaser

• Plasti-kote # 1004 - 1997-1986 Ford Motor Co. - (in Canada) Motomaster 47-8320-0/47-?225-?
  • Motomaster Universal Em Basic Chrome 47-1031-6

TNG/DS9/VOY Phasers

Cricket Phaser

• Dupli-color Black Metallic (emitter tip)
  • Rustoleum Dark Bronze Metallic (brownish/bronze strip, thumb pad)
  • Dupli-color Medium Marblehead Metallic (body)
  • Krylon “Short Cuts” Gold Leaf (settings buttons)

Dustbuster Phaser

• Krylon Dove Grey (now Stone Grey) dusted with Silver

Cobrahead Phaser

• Plasti-kote # 7173 = 85 GM Code 15 - (in Canada) Motomaster 47-8300-8/47-0283-6 Dupli-color Silver Sand Metallic / Dupli-color Medium Marblehead Metallic

Boomerang Phaser

• Plasti-kote # 7173 = 85 GM Code 15 - (in Canada) Motomaster 47-8300-8/47-0283-6 Dupli-color Silver Sand Metallic / Dupli-color Medium Marblehead Metallic

TNG/DS9/VOY Tricorders

TNG Mk VI/VII Tricorders

• Dark Maroon (VOY Sickbay Variant)

DS9/VOY Mk X Tricorders

TNG/DS9/VOY Mk X Tricorder (HMS Prototype)

• Plasti-kote # 1004 (?) = 1997-1986 Ford Motor Co. - (in Canada) 47-8320-0/47-?225-?

TNG/DS9/VOY PADDs

TNG Small/Large PADDs

DS9 Small/Large PADDs

VOY Small/Large PADDs

• Plasti-kote GM 7204 Medium Garnet Red M B/C (Engineering PADDs)
  • Plasti-kote FM 8058/Ford Company 73-76, Code 3G (Medical PADDs)

VOY Investigations PADD (a.k.a. The Neelix PADD)

• Motomaster Honda Em Stratos Blue 47-0538-2 Dupli-color Metallic Blue

TNG/DS9/VOY Medkit (Version w/ Tricorder compartment & shoulder strap)

• Plasti-kote # 1004 (?) = 1997-1986 Ford Motor Co. - (in Canada) 47-8320-0/47-?225-?

VOY Desktop Viewer

• Dupli-color DE1618 Detroit Diesel Alpine Green

Like I said before, some of the info included herein is likely outdated, and some is what I deduced for myself based on what’s available in Canada, so don’t take what I’ve written above as gospel for what should be used for all these props.

In my defense though, I do believe some of the equivalents I’ve come up with (for example, the Neelix PADD) look pretty good compared to the screen-used originals :smile:

Endgame PADD

Anybody know what paint I can use for the Bajoran metallic orange nowadays? The old PlastiKote code was FM8069 and I think Kia Soul cars have a close color called “Cocktail Orange Metallic - Y1” but that isn’t a code Dupli-color will find. In fact, I hate Dupli-colors web site which doesn’t have a color chart at all so your left telling them what car make and model etc. just to see anything. Very stupid. And the web site won’t even find their own product codes, sheesh!

The Kia is a 2011 color

You can get it custom mixed at http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/ As I recall, you like to spray from rattle cans, though, and I’m not sure if they do that or not.

Mixing would seem to be the only choice. I’m probably going to have hawley’s mix a pint of the old 1984 ford color and rattle can it.

Do you mean the bright orange that was used on some Starfleet props (like the ODN Scanner) too? I have this that I bought for that purpose:
BGM0286 Camel Metallic
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71wcxZIgVgL.SY355.jpg

EDIT: I had the wrong paint number… It is actually BNS0503 Orange Mist Met that is a bright orange

Yes and maybe no. I think I have that one and it is somewhat lighter in tone than the Plasti-Kote. Still, my rant about the Web site applies as even knowing that code you can’t find it at duplicolor.com.

It seems the full name for the plasti-kote FM8069 is “Medium Chestnut Bronze” but having a hard time finding photos.

Is it the overall color on the phaser/tricorder?

Though here’s a slightly different color:

And lighter still, but maybe the photo?

That’s the color. I have an empty can I’ve kept for reference after painting my rifle and tricorder a few years ago. Going to get it mixed today so I can finish two Odo pails.

Actually the can I have is BNS0503 Orange Mist Metallic so your can could be a better match. In any case, I’ve come home with five custom mixed cans of Dupont Centari 5.0 SS.

Dupont Code: B8568A
Car: FORD
Code 4W
Year: 85-89
Color: BRIGHT COPPER - Effect

There was another color chip in the match book I thought looked closer but their mixing computer didn’t have it and I opted for this one.

I’ve sprayed some and it looks to be a bit darker than the Plasti-Kote FM8069. I’ll post some pics a bit later when the fumes subside.

OK here are some pics. The lid on the left is the Orange Mist and the lid on the right is PlastiKote FM8069. The paint on the rifle is that very can of FM8069.

I was remembering wrong as well - the one I was thinking of that I meant to use for the orange trim on the ODN scanner is the Orange Mist. I will edit that post for clarity.

Here are some comparison pics and they agree with yours… The rifle came from a trade but was meant to have been painted in the original plasti-kote colors. The Orange Mist cap is lighter than the rifle trim.

However the BFM0351 Sunburst Gold metallic is pretty close on the main body color.

The derringer came from @jhusel but I’m not sure what colors he used. It looks pretty spot on to the reference though (more like the less orange hero/stunt phasers in post 50). The BGM0286 Camel Metallic is middling-ly close to the body color.

Caps top to bottom:
BGM0544 Cordova Brown Met (maybe good for the darker areas on the lower part of the standard Bajoran phaser, or base color for a Cardassian disruptor? might need to be more grey in tone)
BFM0351 Sunburst Gold Met
BGM0286 Camel Met
BNS0503 Orange Mist Met

Edit: I’ve noticed there’s been a lot of link activity on this post - I want to make clear that not all of the paint caps in the pics above are great choices for these phasers. They were just guesses based on what I had on-hand.

Bajoran phaser color scheme

That is exactly the paint I chose for the Cardassian weapons. Here it is with two different looking caps compared to the Plasti-Kote paint. The label has fallen off so I don’t know the Plasti-Kote code number.

Color of cardassian phaser?

That is fantastic! Thank you for those images!

The Plasti-kote code is 9084 Mink Brown Metallic according to this sketch (no idea where it came from):

And that’s the same number as on the Bajoran phaser paint diagram on RAC’s site, for the inset and lower receiver areas:

http://www.racprops.com/issue5/blueprint_paintcodes/

I may have found the grey/brown can label but the number gets no hits. It’s in the slightly newer Tempo name as FM3594.

Here’s the paint codes for the Brad Nelson phaser.

Rust-Oleum Stops Rust®
Dark Pewter Textured
7221830 - 12 oz. Spray

Rust-Oleum Stops Rust®
Black Textured
7220830 - 12 oz. Spray

What do you guys use for Nemesis Phasers? I don’t think medium marblehead metallic is correct, it seems to “silverish”.

I have it down in my notes as having been PK 1004. Not sure what the current equivalent would be.