I may get sidetracked, but I never forget these projects. If I were a sane and reasonable person, I would just sculpt one like Nick, but I continue to try to hone my modeling skills, so I decided to make another go now that I’ve learned a few tricks.
I also spent a long while studying the crystal shots and trying to puzzle out what the actual contours are. The fact that the thing is clear and it’s never unambiguously discernible whether you’re seeing an edge on the front or other side is truly maddening.
Here my latest attempt at a 3D model:
Current height is 165.3mm, but I’m going to print it out on Monday to play with it to see how it feels in my hand in 3D. Any other recommended tweaks or suggestions in the meantime would be more than welcome. It’s admittedly not an absolutely perfect match down to the last degree, but I feel it’s a pretty decent facsimile (at least for the front face) given the limited and ambiguous info we have to work from. This is also one of those things where if you change one little angle everything else in the model can change radically, so it’s oftentimes just comes down to a compromise between all sorts of simultaneous constraints, picking whatever seems to give the best gestalt.
For those curious what my modeling strategy in Autodesk Fusion was, I went through about four before I found something that worked. I ultimately traced the image in 2D to find points that I felt were vertices.
I started with the front
And then the back
And then moved points forward and back in 3D space according to where they appeared to me to lie relative to the image in the best screencap we have
I tried my best to have it occupy the general dimensions we’ve all more or less agreed on above.
I created a solid with those dimensions
And then just started carving it up use the “Plane at Angle” tool mostly, aligned along the 3D sketch lines I had created. I also made occasional use of the chamfer, draft, and move face commands until it started to take the correct rough shape.
I ended up having to use 100 construction planes to slice up the crystal.
The original appears to have soft corners a bit, so I also added .4mm fillet all around.
I’ll report back after I’ve played with a physical version.