Remembering "Adam29" and his Third Season TOS Tunics

I was very sad to learn today that a fellow Trekkie friend, Adam Grossguth, took his own life last November. In the days before Anovos licensed TOS uniforms, Adam’s creations – marketed under his moniker of “Adam29” – were the cream of the crop. You simply couldn’t find a more accurate third season tunic and sparkly pants than with Adam and his friend Jose (the tailor in that relationship.)

Here’s a shot from 2004, a year after I first met him. Adam is on the far right (I’m on the far left – and Jose is in the middle):

Adam by Dave Arland, on Flickr

Adam had his own demons, and had trouble holding down a job. We went together to see George Takei’s musical “ALLEGIANCE” when it played in San Diego, and before its Broadway run.

We waited for George after the performance, and the ever gracious Takei spoke to every fan and posted for photos:

Adam and George by Dave Arland, on Flickr

Those of you who remember the “Adam29” line of tunics may also remember Adam.

May he rest in peace.

So sorry to hear this Dave … prayers

I never got into costuming but I certainly do remember the reputation Adam had for his work. Very sorry to hear of his passing.

Sorry to hear this. While I did not know him personally, I knew of his costumes, and that they were top notch. Anyone who wanted a TOS 3rd season shirt wanted one of his.

As someone who has battled the demon of depression myself, I know the dark places it can take a person. Fortunately, I was able to find my way out of it with the help of my family and friends.
It’s too bad that Adam was unable to do so as well.
May he rest in peace.

Truly sad, I’m very sorry to hear of this, Dave.

Very sorry to here this Dave.

So saddened to hear this. I purchased 3 tunics and 3 pants from him. Extremely well designed and incredibly accurate. He was a great guy. RIP Adam. :frowning:

I am sorry to hear this too Dave. I did not know of Adam or of his work until now. What a loss to everyone. This seems to be a trend now among very creative and talented people and I find that disquieting.