Star Trek Discovery Blu-Ray and DVDs?

Has CBS confirmed that they will definitely offer the series on DVD? I have’nt sprung for the CBS All Access. I looked at what’s on it and it did’nt light my fire. I figured I would just wait and buy the DVDs. But, if CBS isn’t going to offer it on DVD, I might have to break down and buy the All Access.

So… being that guy who checks the math because sometimes you save a whole fifty cents buying 24 individual cans of soda as opposed to one 24 pack or two twelves… (it happened once, i felt bad for the guy at the counter.)

If they don’t sell DVDs or BluRays or Amazon Digital Video (which is how I want to buy it as opposed to a subscription service) they lose money, because I’ll wait until all the episodes are out, pay a one month subscription, binge watch all the episodes, and then cancel the service. But I think they will sell the discs because as we were taught by plain Yogurt…

It’s where the real money is made. :smiley:

My reasoning on this issue:

I’ve been wanting a la carte TV for many years. I’d rather pay a few networks a small fee per month to get the programming I want, rather than paying a cable or satellite provider a huge fee for a bunch of programming I’ll never watch.

“CBS All Access” and it’s ilk are the beginnings of this. It may not be what the final product looks like when it all shakes out, but it has to start somewhere. For the time being, I’ll pay their small fee because I think it’s important to support this step in the desired direction.

I cherry pick series not channels myself so I’ll wait for blu-ray by season. If they had offered a season pass of discovery day after via Amazon or iTunes like normal programs I’d have double dipped because ultimately I like to have series on disc long term.

I’m a cord cutter for over a decade now but have no interest in the CBS All Excess stream service and have no desire to support that business model.

The problem with that ‘small fee per month’ is that every network you want to watch has their own 'small fee!'
At even $5/$10 a month, you can end up paying way more than your monthly cable bill! ):

–Paul E Musselman

Fortunately, there aren’t that many networks I’d want to support. I understand that this won’t be everyone’s thought process, just sharing my own reasoning, be it sound or otherwise :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think, in the end, that services like Playstation Vue, Hulu, YouTube TV, Netflix, etc will emerge as the winning model and that CBS is barking up the wrong tree with the “all OUR content for $6” model. But I do like the idea that things are being shaken up, and it’s causing the Comcasts/Time Warners/Dish/DirecTVs to begin to rethink their way of doing things.

Simply download ShowBox on your phone and spend $35 on a Chromecast at Wal-Mart and you can watch this show and many others from pay channels and new movies.

Yes, if you do not have a personal interest in the future of the franchise, nor a care as to whether or not Star Trek continues to exist, there are plenty of illegal means to steal the show as you have described.

But they don’t have a place on this forum.

Anything that involves Trek can be talked about on this forum unless Ryan feels it’s inappropriate…and he knows how to contact me 4 different ways to tell me so.

Oh and I have to add just because I’m being honest about it only means I am the only one willing to speak out about it. Out of a hundred people I know watching this and hoping it gets better, only a handful are paying for the ridiculously “out of line service” that CBS and it’s incredibly greedy partners are “allowing us to pay for” with absolutely no other benefits. When the show goes off season everyone will drop the service. Imho

No doubt this will happen, and it’s my plan too. However, imagine if all the people who were pirating were instead demonstrating their support for the show, and did the same. What kind of message would that send to CBS to see 80% of their subscriber base vanish overnight? Seems like a pretty strong vote for the future of the franchise.

While I would prefer it to be free on a service like Netflix, I do not mind paying for the show. I pay $16/month for the 2 months that Game of Thrones is on air. I’d rather that was free too, but I don’t hear any outrage over it. Now more than ever it is important for audiences to demonstrate to the networks (in the form of legitimate viewing, subscriptions, or per-episode purchases, etc) what they want to see.

Broadcast television has changed and for the most part there’s no longer the money to do big expensive shows like Star Trek on network TV (particularly not at the feature-film production quality that audiences expect because of the huge wads of cash premium and streaming networks throw at their productions). There are so many shows being produced for so many platforms that “television” production in general is much more expensive. Traditional networks just can’t keep up and loss of ad revenue to piracy only exacerbates the problems…

I think CBS is very much aware that the only country required to pay CBS directly is the United States.
Soooo it seems that was more of a test of their service than the franchise itself. Not supporting CBS All Access
isn’t correlative to support for Star Trek given the vast majority of Discovery viewers are watching it as part of their normal Netflix sub. New Netflix subs probably won’t cancel when the series ends its season due to the plethora of other programming Netflix offers.

This was a move on CBSs part to “force” US viewers to use CBS All Access using this franchise as the bait.

First Ethan, I agree with most of what you are saying. Maybe if 80% of their fan base disappeared overnight, they might actually care about what the true fan base wants and not what is going to make them the most money. I honestly don’t think CBS cares if it stays or goes…they have proven this in the past by ending shows that were still decently maintaining in the ratings but we’re produced by other companies, thus not making them the same amount of money as shows produced by them lower in the ratings.

To the pay channel point… That’s a different ball game. There are other new shows, movies and pay channel only content IF you want to watch them.

Expense of shows… ER way back when was 13 million per episode. GOT is 10 million going on to about 15 million per episode. STD is 8 million per episode. Orville doesn’t have a budget. OITNB, Ozark and Stranger Things are 3 of the biggest money making shows for Netflix and cost between 3-8 million per episode. CBS can produce any thing they want at any price tag…they choose not to. Some of their most profitable shows they spend very little on. Scorpion and Hawaii 5-0…fun shows but as cheesy and cheaply made as possible. CGI is as bad or worse than anything in the 90’s. CBS is only concerned about :moneybag:. Plain and simple.

I personally don’t mind paying for the show itself as I’ve expressed my wish for it to be offered via Amazon or iTunes streaming like most normal programs have been offered for a decade now. However, I have no desire or interest to support “CBS All Excess” streaming service. Since it isn’t offered via Amazon or iTunes streaming I am waiting to purchase blu-ray discs when they become available. If CBS had been offered via the normal outlets mentioned they’d have my dollars twice instead of once. I sincerely hope CBS All Excess fails miserably but wish Star Trek success! Now if CBS had picked up and offered to support production of Star Trek Continues as an additional series offer on CBS All Excess that would actually be an incentive to consider supporting their own service.

IIRC; CBS isn’t directly paying for the production costs, I believe they’ve contracted Netflix to produce it and in exchange Netflix gets to offer the program to several countries included with foreign Netflix subscription without directly charging for the series in those countries.

This is a dangerous number to assume, as CBS will not release their stats, especially considering the Star Trek franchise has never carried broad international appeal in terms of audience numbers. It’s just as possible that the majority of Discovery viewers are in North America through All Access.

I can appreciate the principal of your argument, but in any practical sense, if CBS All Access fails, there will be no new Star Trek for at least a decade.

And I completely respect your decision to not pirate the show in favor of purchasing on home video, but the bottom fell out of that market years ago, and those numbers are statistically insignificant to CBS.

Not so dangerous I think or implausible. The US is just 330 million. The world at large is 7 billion.
I feel pretty confident in stating that of the total viewership for Discovery, the majority (and by a landslide) is from outside the US. The mere fact Netflix ponied up the undisclosed sum that they did speaks volumes about just how much of the Discovery audience resides outside the US. I read somewhere when it was first announced it was going to stream through Netflix that the deal afforded CBS 60% of the budget. If that were true, it seems to support the aforementioned scenario. Another Netflix benefit, no commercials whereas with CBS All Access, that will cost extra.

The historical numbers for the Trek franchise are all we have access to. Neither CBS nor Netflix will ever release theirs.

Regardless of the rumored spend, how Netflix justifies their investment (operating at a current $20 Billion deficit, by the way) has no causal link to the distribution of viewing numbers between domestic and international. Your guess is as good as anybody’s: pure assumption.

Also, for the record: CBS’ most expensive (ad free) option is still cheaper than Netflix’s current cost.

Find a single Star Trek movie that performed better in the US than internationally.

This suggests that the potential of billions outweighs that of just millions.

I would not discount the connection between movie sales and a televised audience.

You’re only further providing evidence that there are more people in the rest of the world than in the United States, which nobody is arguing with.

From that bigger pool, naturally the raw “gross” appears higher (disregarding the fact that the studio received a significantly smaller percentage of the box office take from international distribution that it does domestically), however the size of that split is considerably smaller than other comparable franchises, and the percentage of actual ticket sales from the total available “market” is much smaller than the domestic equivalent.

All this to say: the success of CBS All Access is, for better or worse, directly tied to the ongoing life of Star Trek.

You exacerbated my point.
International ticket sales afford the studio a smaller percentage (unless your Disney) so the actual number of people purchasing tickets is higher given the smaller % taken from each sale.

I am afraid I have to echo the sentiment of others, I want Star Trek to thrive. I could give a rats *** about CBS All Access.
What’s next? They pull programming from service providers like Comcast, Dish and others in favour of restricting the content through its streaming of CBS All Access?

What then if others follow suite?

Cable providers will then fall back to the only revenue stream they have left, data. What effect will that have on price?

I just don’t see the CBS All Access streaming model as an improvement to the industry, the consumer or for the content studios will produce.

It’s most definitely NOT an improvement.