Star Trek Discovery Blu-Ray and DVDs?

For the record, the (admittedly sketchy) number reported by Box Office Mojo represents the total gross, not the studio cut.

That is exactly what will happen and is happening. Viewership (read: money) is leaving traditional (live) TV and moving to streaming. Cord-cutters are making up an ever increasing percentage of TV viewership and that rate of switch-over is only accelerating every year. Traditional cable TV will not exist in 10-20 years.

I’ve been streaming since the first day Netflix started.
I use Hulu and Sling but I also have Comcast TV for things like new years eve and other live telecasts.

I’ll miss my real TV, hopefully by then they streaming alternatives are more remote friendly.

I was a beta tester for Netflix streaming before it was rolled out to the public but I was a cord cutter before the term existed.

We had ditched cable for DirecTV and being fed up with both in paying to watch seeming endless commercials. We had Netflix disc service since it’s inception so upped our disc count to having six at a time. Any series that we wanted right away were subscribed as a season pass to download through iTunes. Once beta testing Netflix streaming we cut our disc count down and also support Amazon Prime and their network series season passes for desired programs. As far as live TV we use a good old antenna for OTA reception which is free to watch and of course includes commercials except for PBS. To get around commercials we’ve got an over the air TiVo with a full lifetime subscription.

It is simply greed for CBS to extort a 50 year old Star Trek fan base to support their CBS All Excess streaming service. I’m not opposed to spending dollars to watch the series but am opposed To CBS’s attempt to force the fan base onto their own streaming service and getting a monthly subscription payment to boost their profit margin. While at the same time charging fans to watch commercials which they are also profiting from. Yes, they offer a commercial free subscription at a much higher price but their streaming service just isn’t worth it at any price point for me as it currently stands.

CBS put out bad karma in eliminating all fan productions because of one bad apple. I applaude CBS for the good karma they then extended in granting Star Trek Set Tours exclusive rights to a TOS set tour. CBS has, however, missed a golden opportunity to expand that good karma by actually funding production of Star Trek Continues as a concurrent ongoing Star Trek series on their streaming service. It would have been an unprecedented move and won them lots of support from the fan base instead of alienation.

These as well as my prior comments are not arguments they are merely one woman’s philosophical opinion on the matter as a whole. While I wish CBS All Excess fails miserably as it currently exists Star Trek doesn’t have to, CBS can modify their greedy business model at any time.

If Star Trek Discovery fails due to CBS’s greed in forcing CBS All Excess on the fan base then, c’est la vie

Don’t get me started on the paid-for commercials.

Have you been to a theatre in the last 15 years?

I can still recall the first time I saw a commercial in a theatre ahead of the previews.

I sent emails to Loews, Garnier and Levis.

The latter each called me back. I explained that I found it unacceptable that I was paying to subsidize their marketing expenses. Their solution was to offer me product which I declined, clearly they missed my point.

Loews never called so I took the initiative. They said I was the first to “complain”. It was years before I went back to a theatre and since then, I’ve only been to 4 or 5 movies. I’m happy to wait and buy the blue ray.

It’s principle. Which so many don’t have. I paid Chevy to physically remove the OnStar hardware from my Z06 because even if I don’t pay for it, they gather statistics on my vehicle, like where it is parked at night, where I drive, how fast I drive and where I buy gas and then sell it. *uck that. I value MY privacy. Once again I was told, I’m the first to “complain”.
BS. I can’t be the only person to value privacy.

I would point out that the previews are also commercials.

You’re in a commercial venue, buying something and that venue is advertising other items, other movies, popcorn, candy, soda and nowadays cars, and other stuff.

But again they’ve been showing commercials for a long time.

I still don’t think that price is very high but I live in an expensive state so maybe I’m biased. I certainly don’t get that much out of Xfinity which is costing me twelve times as much as CBS All Access and I pretty much just watch auto racing(not NASCAR crap), however my somewhat better half does watch and record so it’s not just my call.

It is considering I would only be watching one series that consists of what 13 or 15 episodes per season?

Thus I’m waiting for the series on blu ray, there is no rush for me to watch the series.

Cherry picking commercial free programs works for me. The exception in our household is a streaming subscription to MLB for my hubby who actually watches and rewatches games throughout the year with minimal commercials on the service. MLB streams used to simply put up a “commercial break in progress” graphic but this year added some commercials which my hubby mutes until his game resumes.

Love baseball. I can understand why people think it’s boring but I also think they don’t understand the undercurrents of the strategy. I’ll take ground ball hits and small ball any day over home run derbies.

How dare you call NASCAR “Crap”!!! Blasphemy I tell ya! lmfao

Wonder when we’ll see an update on their subscriber base, the number has been been posted since mid February.

There was news right after the premiere but now I see that the figures were about the revenue rather than subscription numbers.

Am I the only person that actually likes cable? I’ve used online services to watch TV for years, and I’m also a Netflix user. They have one advantage, on-demand access to content that you don’t need to record. Everything else, they are inferior. Watching a stream or an online episode is maddening compared to watching a DVR recording. Browsing streaming or online content is horrible in comparison to channel surfing. When will either alternative actually be as easy as regular TV? Never?

Didn’t say I don’t like it, I just think it’s overpriced considering I use about one percent of it.

Horses for courses, I find streaming a much better experience all around. Watch exactly what I want when I want and without commercials or flipping channels. I’ve found streams are typically better quality than the compression used by cable and dish. I will purchase an SD season pass though on series that I plan to pick up on blu ray which is what I would have done with Discovery if made available like most series.

One problem with streaming content is streaming rights are limited. You can’t count on a series like Battlestar Galactica or Star Trek to be available on Netflix forever. BSG was there for a long time but once streaming rights expired it disappeared same could happen with Star Trek at any time. Bonus with blu ray and dvd is the extra features and no worries of them disappearing.

Chronowerx – If you buy a ticket for a 7:30 movie, the stuff before 7:30 is “preshow” and the stuff after 7:30 is “trailer”. You’re probably forgetting that forty years ago the preshow was a 35mm slide carousel showing trivia questions and, yes, ads for the theater concession stand and for other (usually local) businesses. At showtime, the projectionist switched over to the reels of film with the trailers spliced onto the front before the feature started.

The only thing that changed fifteen years ago is the slide carousel got replaced with a digital projector. Then about five years ago the feature projector got switched from film reels to a digital projector. So everything’s digital now, and it may feel like one great big seamless show, but believe me the people tracking these things are still extremely careful to keep the preshow before boxtime and the trailers after boxtime.

So the reason your complaints are falling on deaf ears is that you’re not paying attention to the larger structure of the business. If you don’t want to see any preshow commercials, just don’t go into the auditorium before boxtime.

And yeah, I also wait for the DVD/BluRay for most movies. But there are some events that really should be seen on the big screen. Titanic just ain’t the same on an iPhone. And honestly, I wish I could’ve seen the Discovery premiere on the Cinerama dome, sigh.

Another nail in the coffin of network/cable TV: Disney has just announced a live-action Star Wars series… on their upcoming new streaming service.

I spoke with a person in the CBS licensing department and DISCO is destined for Blu-Ray and DVD but (of course) no specific date has been announced. I would imagine that it would be within a month of the beginning of Season Two to generate excitement.

~Ron

That sounds good to me. I can wait. Outside of all the Trek series, there isn’t anything else on CBS All Access that I’m interested in. Even with that said, here in Philly all the Trek series are on cable (which I pay too much for).

Bumping thread to add announcement of release date and pre-order for Blu Ray from Amazon now, releasing on November 13th…

Star Trek: Discovery - Season One [Blu-ray] https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G2D87C1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_V7XABbBD047C4