Thanks to trekme and the wonderful plans he shared with us, I’ve decided to give it a try, but with a twist. I’ve always thought that prop building is a lot like jazz; you don’t need to always follow the printed plans. Sometimes you’ve just gotta do what feels right for you.
This build will begin with a box made with hard, thick cardboard. Luckily the ends of the box are a bit larger than the 8 ½ x 11 inch size I need for the top and bottom. After taking careful measurements I trimmed the parts with an Exacto. I also decided not to cut the top and bottom parts completely through, so I could bend the pieces towards the inside to give everything a bit of structural integrity.
To give the top piece a bit of structural integrity and heft I cut out, trimmed and glued a few strips of carboard. I then cut a few dozen 1 inch squares to stack on top of each other to make posts to give the build more of that structural integrity and a bit of heft.
To make sure I end up with the right measurements for the “Magic Slate” section, I blew the plans up to the desired 8 ½ x 11 inch, printed it, taped it to the top part then cut out the section for the “Magic Slate” section.
I then cut a few strips and then glued them to the inside to create a base for the eventual “Magic Slate” to sit on.
I also added a bit of putty to the rough edge on the top.
Tomorrow I plan to trim the bottom edge into an edge, sand all of the rough edges, measure the side panels, cut them out and attach. Stay tuned.