I started by grinding off the handle and unscrewing wick holder.
I put bondo over the hole left by the wick holder and tried painting it like that.
This was an acceptable start, but there are some clear differences.
If you look at the profile compared to what I have, the wick collar is both taller than the somewhat squat one left by my brass lamp modification, and also there are three steps/indents running along the perimeter, two at the top of the tube, and a shallow one near the base of the wick collar structure.
My original solution was to machine a drop-in part to make the collar taller, and to add one of the indents. (Accurate to the original, the top part is slightly smaller in diameter than the lower portion, which is why I think this is what they may have done on the original.) Here was my first test:
My plan was to weld a disc onto the end of this tube so it would hold oil.
My next step was to try make that shallow step/indent. I fitted the lamp onto a CNC Bridgeport mill using a four-jaw chuck from the lathe.
I then wrote a program to trace a circle into the collar of the lamp, using a Sharpie instead of an end mill at first, but I quickly discovered that the lamp is nowhere close to actually circular.
I destroyed my way through several lamps trying to make a program that would trace the contours perfectly, but nothing did the trick. It is irregular in all dimensions and just too difficult to make work.
So I decided to take an entirely different approach. I milled off the original lamp collar completely
And decided design and 3D print a drop-in component.
Here is the STL file I used.
Vulcan Meditation Lamp Collar v2.stl (436.4 KB)
It just arrived from Shapeways this week. Once I get the two paired up, I'll post photos below.
My plan is to then cast this in pigmented fire-resistant resin (Smooth-On's Task 7) so it can actually hold and burn olive oil. I don't want to deal with a parting line, so I'm likely going to do a brush-on mold with Dragon Skin. Because of its high elongation-at-tear strength, I should be able to peel the whole mold off from around the cast lamp just by expanding the pouring hole and pulling out the lamp. I'll then use some plasti-plaste to make a mother mold to give solidity to the brushed-on glove mold.
And I'll cut out a mask on my vinyl cutter so that I can spray the vulcan script into the lamp using gold paint.