On this episode of “Pimp my Communicator” I will add another piece of accuracy to my Wand Company “Alpha” Conversion to further mimic the genuine version.
Thanks to Patrick (PKaneprops) I have acquired a brass windup peg to mimic the actual one on the genuine “Alpha” which winds the stopwatch for the moire moment. Since this comm has no stopwatch, it will only be a cosmetic simulation. And since the peg will not fit as-is, I will have to be creative and careful not to screw up the internal electronics.
During an initial inspection, I found that the peg will have a difficult time fitting because of the battery and the recharging assembly with the coper wiring. There just is not enough room as-is.
To provide the peg with a little more room to fit I decided to carefully snip away as much plastic as I could without damaging the recharging assembly. Still no fit but it provides a better place for it to sit.
I figured out where the middle of the bottom shell would be and then trimmed a hole to allow the peg to fit and hopefully be seen just the right amount. A few initial snips and then by carefully using a file and sand stick, it looks pretty good.
Since the peg is too long as is, I eyeballed it’s fit and marked the spot where it needs to be trimmed.
I have no machinery so I hand-sniped the peg down to size. The end results make it worthwhile. After soaking it in Liquid Plumber a few minutes to age its appearance it looks pretty good.
Now that it fits I’ll have to figure out a way to install it without blocking the battery or effecting the charging assembly. I decided to apply a copious amount of Household Goop to the inside the back shell to give the peg a place to sit on.
The peg has now been installed it gives the comm a much better look.
Thanks again to Patrick!