I recently completed a more detailed conversion of my Wand Company communicator into a more accurate, Gamma stunt version. Unlike my Alpha conversion, I took this one apart totally and gutted the electronics.
To make them look more like Kydex, I did the same thing I did with my Alpha conversion: carefully use 3000 grit sandpaper to lower the ridges to a more accurate-looking level, then rub the crap out of them on my knee while wearing sweatpants. In regular or low light its amazing how much like kydex it looks.
Since I totally gutted this one, I completely removed the plastic hubs and jewels and replaced them with more accurate upside-down hubs, amber-colored Plobond contact cement, and actual genuine and more accurate Swarovski jewels. I even offset the middle red jewel as seen on the actual prop.
Control Panel and Speaker Grill
After acquiring a more accurate and thinner control panel, I shaped the speaker opening into a more accurate square and then shortened the entire panel to match the original. I then used my secret method to age it and the grill, which gives them both a bit of a tarnish or patina.
Using the Pliobond contact cement to apply a pair of more accurate knobs, with the natural lip on the bottom, was easy once I received them.
Moire and Ring
After acquiring a Gamma ring, I again used my secret method to age it by giving it a bit of a tarnish/ptina. I also aged the actual moire by yellowing the paper a tad. A bit of Pliobond, hard to see unless you look really close, helps also.
Just as I did with my Alpha conversion, I applied it to the rear shell with a general amount of contact cement.
Replacing it with more accurate screws was easy and really make it look authentic.
The only thing I’ve done to this lid, so far, is to address the wire frame by giving it a more steel color with a paint pen. Simple and relatively effective. I’m planning to replace it complete with an actual brass lid as soon as it comes in.