The M-94A1 Phaser Rifle


#41

Joe that is LOU-KING GO-OOD!


#42

Amazing work, Joe! Great progress on this build.


#43

I’m working on the rear housing now. It’s been a lot of work so far but it’s coming together well I think.
Here is where it’s at now. In process photos will follow in separate post. There’s a lot of them.


#44

I built the rear housing in quarters to make machining it easier. Two pieces of mdf were sanded to thickness then glued together. One corner was rounded over then cut to length. The glue ups made for lots of extras.The four parts were then dry fitted to see how the housing was looking and to plan the next operations.

More to come.


#45

That is fantastic Joe.
You are the Master Craftsman.


#46

It is awesome hanging in “Joe’s Garage” for Acts 1,2 & 3 on this project. :wink:

Thanks for the updates Joe!


#47

Looking sweet and heavy too.


#48

Thanks you three. The next step was to cut the angles at the top and side of each piece. This is the main reason I went with quarter sections. The blade on my table saw would not extend high enough if the pieces were full width. The photo shows the cut for the top. I don’t have one for the side cut but it uses basically the same set up. The next step was to use the dado head cutter and plow out the notches for the side blisters. The halves were then glued together.


#49

Insane workmanship. Insane!


#50

Wow ! just wow… I’'ve never seen this on This Old House


#51

Thanks Patrick and Chris. After the parts were out of clamps I fitted and glued in the little end pieces. No pictures of that however. I then marked the centers for locator pins and drilled them using a sine table to level the work piece. Dowel centers were inserted into each hole then the halves were carefully aligned and pressed together to mark to opposing centers. After the second set of holes were drilled and temporary pins installed the halves fit together perfectly. There is some filling to be done but that is due to slight inconsistencies in the parts not miss-alignment. This actually surprised me because I’ve rarely had results this good using dowel centers in the past.


#52

The side blisters were cut from longer stock. The blanks were double face taped together and a 30° bevel was cut on one end. Now the edges of the housing assembly could be shaped using various sanding blocks. I made a custom contour block from Smooth On two part epoxy putty. This roughed out the edges really fast using 60 grit paper. This brings us back to the first few pictures in this series of updates. I’ll post more frequently now.


#53

I have a career in IT. It’s great and stuff, but sometimes I look at things like this and wish I’d focused on something more tactile. What an inspiration.


#54

Mad, mad skills! You are a true craftsmen, Joe. I’m so glad you are taking the time to share the steps with everyone, Thank you.


#55

Just like the real deal. so cool.


#56

Looking very good Joe.
You seem to be catching all the wierd contours.


#57

Thanks guys. The contours are coming along nicely. Staring at all those pictures for years is paying off.
The four edges are now rough shaped and I’ve begun the Bondo, sand, repeat step. I’m also posting pictures of the dowel centers and dado head I have, for those who aren’t sure what they look like. The dowel centers come is four diameters, 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and one more which I can’t remember. I have four of each size. The dado head has two outside blades and six, four tooth chippers and is from CMT Tools.


#58

Very good work…I wish I had your skill!


#59

Dado Dado is very fine work you show…:sunglasses:


#60

Here’s progress on the side blisters. I want to leave open the option of installing lights in them so that end I cut them down in width and plowed out a notch in each blister half. Then styrere strips were added to form the frame. Later a thin metal panel with cut outs for the yellow, orange and red lights will be fitted into the frame.